our pukey weekend (not for weak stomachs)

Growing up I was a pretty sickly child. I’ve had chronic migraines and ear infections for as long as I can remember, and got tonsillitis and strep multiple times a year. Thankfully, Madeleine hasn’t carried on the tradition. Aside from seasonal allergies, she has been sick only a handful of times. So while I can’t complain, this weekend’s experience was completely unexpected.

On Friday evening, Maddie, Bill and I headed to Belle Plaine, KS for a family weekend at my cousin Jennifer’s new (to her) farmhouse.  It was a much needed and anticipated getaway! We rode tractors, shot guns, ate yummy food, laughed, gossiped and drank wine. Everything was great, except on Saturday morning I realized Maddie didn’t want to eat breakfast. After shopping at the local gift shop, we headed back to the farm for a lunch of turkey sandwiches. Maddie said she was hungry but just picked at her food. I got up to clean our plates when I heard a strange noise. Then my aunt Gayle said, “your daughter just threw up.” Maddie has never thrown up, didn’t even spit up when she was a baby, so this was hard to believe. But I turned around and sure enough, puke everywhere. I swooped her up, ran her to the bathroom and stripped off her clothes. I got annoyed at the pukey fingerprints she left on my jeans and sweater, since I had a limited wardrobe available. Once we were cleaned up, Maddie seemed a little tired but no fever. We carried on with the day, chalking up the stomach ache to excitement and Cheetos – which Maddie never gets.

Now it was time for dinner. Jennifer made potato soup and chili, so yummy! I made a small bowl of potato soup for Maddie, a cup of milk and 2 saltines. She poked at the soup, ate a cracker, drank her milk and decided she was done. She got down and played with her cousins, but I could tell from her glossy eyes and rosy cheeks she still wasn’t quite right. As the night wore on she became crabby but I thought she was just exhausted. Then she walked over to Bill, put her hand over her mouth and started crying. Bill called to me and said, “what do you think is wrong with her?” No sooner had I scooped her up and headed to the bathroom, she unleashed. Vomit streamed down my neck, into my sweater and filled up my bra. Oh how I would have taken back the pukey fingerprints! I plopped her in front of the toilet but it continued flowing all over herself, my feet and the bathroom floor. The poor girl was screaming, she just didn’t understand what was happening. My husband, mom and sister-in-law are troopers, they helped clean up the disaster while I tended to Maddie. We headed upstairs to the clawfoot bathtub. Imagine one of those post-trauma movie scenes where the victim sits in the shower, sobbing and scrubbing but “just can’t get clean.” Yeah. It was like that.

Poor Maddie finally fell asleep on the couch. She didn’t even wake up to the earthquake! Which was complete insanity, but I digress. We made it through the night without incident, although she did wake up every hour to
drink water. In the morning she seemed in much better spirits, even kept a small bowl of dry cheerios down. She was still clingy and quiet but no more vomit. We decided to meet my dad for lunch at a new restaurant in Derby. It was straight up noon and the place was packed! Maddie wanted chips for lunch and I naively thought that would be bland enough. Halfway through, she looked at me with glossy eyes and a pale face and said she needed to go potty. And at that moment the chips came back up. I jumped up and caught the majority of it, shielding the scene from other diners the best I could. Of course, both bathrooms were occupied so I ran her outside. We quickly finished lunch and said our goodbyes. I was not looking forward to the 2.5 hours we had to spend in the car to get home.

Once we hit the road, Maddie passed out. Hard. But the slight nausea I ignored all day was rearing it’s ugly head. I tried to let Bill drive but since i get car sick in the passenger seat, that lasted all of 15 minutes. It felt like forever but we finally made it to Lawrence and Maddie and I laid down for a 3 hour nap. Lots of water, some toast for her, and we both went to bed early.

Needless to say, both of us stayed home sick today. Poor Maddie has been so hungry. I made us some rice pudding with almond milk for a snack, which both of us were able to keep down. She seemed so much better I gave into her lunch request for a PB&J. BIG MISTAKE. The new stain on my couch can attest to that. Today has consisted of much cuddling, napping and princess movies, which under normal circumstances would be the best day ever. Hopefully I’ll wake up 100% better tomorrow, because that means it’s daddy’s turn to deal with the puke. I am SO done with it!


About sarahkscoular

Sarah K. Scoular (@sarahkscoular on twitter) has 15 years customer service experience including face to face, over the phone and via digital interactions. Sarah is currently Enterprise Community Manager for uCern, the enterprise 2.0 social platform where Cerner Associates and Clients connect and collaborate. She ensures the 100,000+ member network is connecting people with others in similar roles or special interest groups, sharing information and finding answers to the questions they're looking for. Sarah helps others who are helping to revolutionize Health Care. Outside of work, Sarah is the wife of a graphic designer/laser engraver and the mother of seven-year-old Madeleine. She loves to cook clean, plant-strong foods and is a certified yoga and Les Mills BODYFLOW instructor.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s